Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Impotent Impetus


I've had a new wallet for about 1.5 months. But I should start earlier.

Back in December, we (the hubbs and I) realized that Matt should have a new wallet. So, when we were out Christmas shopping, we picked him up one. This of course made me realize I needed a new wallet. I'd had the same one for longer than Matt and I have been together (going on our 6th year). A new wallet became my mission. Everywhere I went, I looked for this wallet. I NEEDED A DARN NEW WALLET. My old one just wouldn't do anymore, you see.

Finally, at the very beginning of January, I found a great one. It was perfect. It was flashy, it matched my current purse, and it was on sale. I took it home, put it by my purse... and left it sit there for a couple weeks.

Then I moved it upstairs. I thought maybe I'd get the motivation to switch my cards to it if this change was something I could do in bed.

The wallet's still up there. It a great, beautiful wallet. It's in much better shape than my old one. I just haven't gotten around to taking five minutes to switch my change and cards over to it.

How many things in life are like that? We go through all these motions (and are usually RUSHING to get them done) to set up a change in our lives. Then, once we've gotten everything in place, something stops us. There's no good reason, we just stop. Our impetus is impotent.

Will I change my wallet over tonight? Nope. Will I get to it this week? I sure hope so. But I won't hold my breath.

What are your impotent impetuses? What thing(s) have you worked so hard to get started and then never actually started?

:-) Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment